Monday, February 8, 2010

How to sew with Pattern

How to sew by Pattern

Sewing patterns are typically cut out and pinned to the fabric. After the pattern pieces are pinned to the fabric, the fabric is then cut. The sewer then marks the patterns and starts sewing the pieces together to complete the project. Read the article below, for more information Select an easy pattern with a small number of pattern pieces. Read the pattern envelope to help select the appropriate fabric and notions (sewing supplies) needed for the sewing project. Buy the correct size by having a friend measure you first. Don't buy the size you get ready-made clothing in. Pattern sizing is very different. Look on the back of the pattern envelope and determine your size by the 'finished' measurements.

Open the envelope and read the directions. Find each pattern piece that you will need to use and cut it out. Pin the pieces together using 5/8" seam allowance. Make sure you double-check the seam allowance in the pattern because not all patterns use 5/8". You will have 1/2 of the garment. Have a friend check the fit and help you make any needed alterations in size or length.
Read the pattern user guide (sheet) to determine the sewing patterns' layout on the fabric. Be sure you understand the grain line of your fabric--this is the same as the direction of the selvage edges. Also check your fabric print to see if any images will be upside down.
Layout the patterns according to the user guide.
Pin the pattern pieces to the fabric following the user guide. You can also use pattern weights so you won't damage fine/delicate fabric with your needles.
Use a pair of scissors specifically earmarked for cutting out paper sewing patterns. Keep another pair of 8" long scissors specifically earmarked for cutting out fabric. Sewing patterns tend to dull scissors and sharp scissors are needed to easily cut fabric. Cut the fabric using the pattern pieces as a guide.
Mark the patterns using tailors chalk or a tracing wheel and tracing paper. You can also make tape labels for the back of each pattern piece so you won't get confused when you start to sew and don't know what you are looking at.
Edit Tips
• Choose a simple pattern for a first-time sewing project that has few seam lines and few pattern pieces. Also look for an easy-fit or looser garment style. Don't try anything that has to be lined with another fabric.
• For sewing your first pattern, don't buy expensive fabric because you may not be able to fix mistakes.
• Read the user guide (sheet) before starting the project.
• Have a good sewing book such as the "Reader's Digest Guide to Sewing" or other well known text on the subject. Vintage and older publications are fine too.
• Double-check measurements, seam allowances, and needle-type for your fabric. Not all sewing machine needles are the same.
• Determine the right side and wrong side of the fabric. The wrong side is the fabric worn against the body once the garment is completed. Use a pin to mark the wrong side of the fabric.
• Also determine the grain line or direction of the fabric: locate the selvage edge. The term 'nap' refers to the up-and-down nature of a print (could the design be cut upside down by accident?)
• Some easy sewing patterns are available from most major sewing companies. Some major sewing pattern companies include New Look, Butterick, Simplicity and McCall. These patterns are clearly marked 'easy' and can be found at almost any fabric store.
Edit Things You'll Need
• Sewing pattern
• Pins --- for a simple project one box should be enough. Pins are always used in sewing so you can never have too many, and pearl head pins are the best.
• Pin cushion to store the pins. A magnetic "pin cushion" is an updated notion and very handy.
• Tailor's chalk or a tracing paper and tracing wheel to mark the fabric for darts etc.
• Tape Measure to find your measurements and check the pattern.
• Paper scissors and fabric shears
• Large, smooth cutting surface (clean floors are OK)
• Colored pen to mark alterations on the paper pattern. Scotch tape to 'take in' paper pattern, and make alterations to fit.
• it is easier to just pin the design down
After all pieces are pinned down, Now it is time to cut out all the pieces.

14 comments:

  1. Ms. Russell, great. You wasted no time getting this on. Remember, you will be blogging for the rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Informative. I myself love the art and am in the learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I didnt know any better, I would say that you were a sewing instructor from reading your very detailed post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed reading, the most i got with my skill with sewing was back in high school when we did 7 tablecloths of our liking. I think you should bring one of your art to class to show us. I would enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you could teach me how to sew I would learn, Im not to good with instuction only. I need hand on help

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brandon, not a problem at all. Just let me know when.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know that you enjoy sewing maybe one day you teach me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vanora not a problem at all, I could have a class for you and Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Debi, I am or should I say, was once very interesting in sewing. I honestly do not know when I lost interest. But your detailed instructions were a great help, and I believe that the kick has somehow returned to me.
    There is a skill in each of us tat is just waiting to be manipulated. And I think its wonderful of your passio for this, because guess what? Its a remedy for the sickness you are facing here the UVI: I like to call it U-V-I-tis. (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this blog. Very informative, i can recommend it to some female friends i have who still go to a seamstress to sew on a button lol. All said and done, continue the good work and share the knowledge, well, continue to share your expertise with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. l like your blog. this is my first time to hear someone from the vi that sew her own cloth. maybe i can make business with you one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You blog is very fascinating and informative, i have always been curious about the art of sewing as a youngster the mothers that raised me would from time to time call on me to thread the needles for them to sew and i can sew on a button but i am not that skilled with making clothes and stuff. at the risk of sounding sexist or stereotyping it was more a girl thing. Appreciate you work and i will definitely recommend this to my female friends who think clothes make themselves....lol.
    you teach as well?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just the other day, I saw a flyer of free sewing classes at U.V.I. The bad news is that the hours it is being offered clashes with my work schedule. I really wanted to take this class, and the best thing about it is that it is FREE. I hope that in the future I can have the same opportunity. I am really artistic, and I would like to apply my artistic side to sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know something I was just thinking about this the other night. I really respect people that can sew. lord knows it is not easy at all.

    ReplyDelete